Saturday, July 12, 2008

Belmar 5 Race Report

Today I ran the Belmar 5 race. It's a flat fast course, but the weather killed it. We didn't start until 8:30 and it was already scorching out. When we started, the crowds were tough to get through and nobody was moving. I wound up running the first mile at 8:40 and knew I wouldn't PR, but I was ok with that. My legs were tight because of all the mileage I have been putting in, and the humidity didn't help it. At mile 3, I was at 26:06 and felt like stopping. The sun was beating on me and I was dizzy and light headed. I knew I had to finish. I didn't care if I collapsed once I crossed the finish line, but there was no way I was quitting. I walked through one water station because I needed to take a break. Everyone around me was pretty much at the same pace and we all looked like we were dying! I crossed at 43:46 and I wasn't disappointed. Once I crossed though, I sat down and thought I was going to die. The weather had a lot to do with my time, but it's ok because I ran strong.


Now I get to leave for vacation and have a nice peaceful week! I am beyond excited :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged...check my blog! (although I know you're probably short on time!)

Way to tough out that race and know that even if it wasn't a PR you still put forth a gallant effort! Enjoy the cruise!