Friday, July 24, 2009

Humidity and Running

Let me start by stressing how much I HATE the humidity!!! It makes my runs so much more difficult, and kills my breathing! I'm in the midst of training for PDR, and sometimes just second guess myself. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a runner. But I'm not giving up! I still need to eventually run Boston one day!!

I ran today 5.00 miles at an avg of 10:10 pace. Ran the first 2.50 miles with mom at ~10:40 pace. Then, ran the last 2.50 by myself at ~9:30 pace. It was so tough especially that I did hills too! Mom did great, even though she doesn't give herself enough credit for it.

PDR is 8 weeks from Sunday! Ahh I can't believe it! I haven't run a 1/2 marathon in over a year. Tomorrow, I'm heading out for 8 miles *fingers crossed*!

Thanks again to everyone for the constant support!


Here is the chart from my garmin:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Nic and don't doubt yourself. Have you seen this months issue of RW? If not, pick it up...there's a chart in there that shows how performance times go down as temperatures go up. And be thankful you're still out there. I had to quit running because my body can't hack it here on Guam. We have high temps AND humidity every day. And I'm still not at peace with it.

But it WILL get better and you'll ROCK PDR!!!

Nicole said...

thanks sam that's really sweet! it's so hard this year... yeah i read that article and it's sooo true!!!! i guess it's just hard b/c i was doing so well last summer :( i can't believe u had to stop running!!! but hey there's nothing wrong with that and you keep active in all other ways... thanks for always supporting me

jp said...

I think you do great and you ARE a runner!

I trained for my 5k in the humidity and it hurt so badly :( humidity is a killer! I hate it!!

But you CAN do it!!! :)

Jen