Monday, May 18, 2009

Bayhead 5k Race Report

Saturday, May 16th, I ran my first race since December. With everything that has been going on with mom, my running has been horrible. It was last on my list and I took a few weeks off. Getting back was the hardest thing to do. The end of April is when I said enough is enough, and I went back strong. It was tough, and still is. My speed is nowhere close to where it was last year, but I know with dedication and training I'll get right back.

My race was humid/muggy, so I figured I'd have trouble. About .5 miles into the race, I hear my name. My friend Marty wasn't running the race, but was there to support me. He's super fast, and decided he would pace me. Goal #1 was to finish, #2 finish under 30 minutes, #3 my secret goal was to come in around 25-26 minutes. I wound up holding a steady 8:37 pace, which brought me through the finish line @ 26:44. He says I could have went faster because I had too much energy at the end, but part of me was nervous. I was so glad he was there for me and helped me along. It was very hard not having mom there, but I did it and I'm running for her. I'm hoping to improve each of my future races this year!

5 comments:

Samantha said...

That's awesome nic...WAY TO GO! What a blessing to have a friend there help you through. You'll get the speed back. It was the right thing to do to take some time off and focus on other things.

Nicole said...

thank u :)

jp said...

hi, saw your blog and found it through a board on runners world. Congrats. I want to do my first 5k this September.

Anonymous said...

Nic, I got to your blog through RWOL and want to send my best wishes for your mother's recovery. My daughter was diagnosed with leukemia in Sept. and has been fighting it relentlessly. She was in remission for a short time (back to work for only a few weeks), but relapsed and received a transplant a few weeks ago. Anyway, just to say that I know what you're going through. I will keep your mother in my thoughts.
judy716

Nicole said...

wow thanks everyone

jen- good luck!!

judy- i'm so sorry to hear that i hope she's doing ok and she's in my prayers